Saturday, January 5, 2013

A sail in the mail...

When it comes to sail rigs it seems everyone has a different opinion. On the other hand, I have very little experience sailing and hence; no opinion. I'm a blank slate when it comes to rigging, so I picked my boat mostly on the opinions of others and the fact I love the way she looks. When I first received the plans I mainly focused on the hull. Gaff, Bermuda, sprit, lug; all gibberish to me. I had to spend some time researching just to understand what I was looking at. Barto's sail plan calls for a stayed gaff rig with 90 square feet of sail.


After a bit of fussing, I decided to stick with the plan for obvious reason; Barto knows what he's doing. We will see if it is as much of a chore to rig up as the balanced lug aficionados claim it will be. Looks cool to me!

I ordered the sail early on because I had a sail maker in mind who works alone and often has a que of work lined up. Several builders with melonseeds recommended Dabbler Sails, a one man shop specializing in small boat sails. The owner, Stuart Hopkins, was very helpful and completed the sail ahead of schedule. He does beautiful work!


Four ounce cream colored Dacron.



No comments:

Post a Comment