Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Snow day...

The town where I live averages only 14 inches of precipitation per year and we rely on the mountain snow pack for the lion's share of water we use. Last year the snow pack was below average and this year was looking to be the same. Thankfully, we have finally received a gift from mother nature and it has been snowing off and on for three days. We've seen over 16 inches at our house and reports from the mountains have been in feet. As I write this it is coming down again. The view from my shop this AM.


I continue work on the mast, using the smooth plane. I spent some time getting the plane set up just right. It often takes a bit of fussing, but when the blade is sharp, the sole perfectly flat, and the throat properly adjusted, one can get a very clean cut, even against the grain. I've had this plane for 25 years and it's my favorite.


The first task after glue up is to remove extra material, first creating an octagon, then a hexagon. I use an adjustable bevel to maintain the correct angles. This one came from my grandfather.


My approach is incremental as the hexagonal mast emerges. I check the dimensions regularly with calipers and my eye. The eye does not lie, most of the time. 


I hope to avoid using a sanding belt. The belt leaves cross grain scratches, a real pain to remove. I think most of the work can be done with the plane and a scraper. 


The mast keeps getting lighter, a good thing. I was concerned it might be difficult to manage when stepping, not so at all. Current weight is 11.5 pounds.


No comments:

Post a Comment