Friday, August 14, 2015

Just a few more strips...

If you want to build a boat quickly, do not take my advice on anything. Once again, I've succeeded at finding the slowest way, in this case, to build a deck. However, all good things must come to an end... eventually. I'm not there yet, but closer.



The deck will be covered with 6 ounce glass. I'm looking forward to that moment when the sanding is done and I apply the first coat of epoxy. The moment of truth, so to speak, when the true beauty of the wood is fully exposed. I'm hoping it will inspire me to want to varnish, but I'm not betting on it. Have I mentioned how much I like to varnish?




I'm going to try spraying varnish on the deck instead of brushing. While varnishing the interior of the hull, I struggled to find the optimal ratio of thinner and/or retarder that would deliver consistently good results. Any change in humidity and temperature seemed to necessitate an adjustment to the mix. In short, I was never totally happy with my efforts at brushing it on. Having nothing to loose, I'll give the spray gun a try.




The wife and I have made plans to attend the Wooden Boat Festival in Port Townsend this September. This is the event that first inspired my ambition to build a boat. Lots of really cool boats and interesting people in a beautiful maritime setting. Highly recommended!

No comments:

Post a Comment