Friday, December 21, 2012

Short days, long nights...

 

December, as usual, is a tough time to get a lot done. Short days, long nights, and a plethora of social obligations conspire to keep me from the shop. However, I've steadily plugged away, a strip here and a strip there, and I'm down to the last three pieces. I'm very ready to be done with the planking and looking forward to getting a workout with the flexible long board I just spent half my life savings on. I spent the other half on epoxy and 6 oz glass cloth.

 
A final decision had to be made regarding the transition at the chines. The bottom is 3/8" thick, but the side planking is only 1/4" thick. Additionally, the angle varies at each station, so a rolling bevel is required at the chine. My solution was to add a 5/16" thick strip, with the rolling bevel on one edge, to the bottom. The other edge of this strip is square. This approach assures no compound angles are required where the planking intersects the bottom.

 
The planking gets a little easier to apply at bottom as the strips get shorter. However, one must be very careful when cutting to length as the strips must fit snugly to avoid any gaps

 
View of transom with all strips applied. She's really starting to look like a boat.
 


Next up, fair the hull and add the skeg.
 
 
Happy Holidays!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Tim! Firstly, fantastic blog.
    I am all the way downunder in Australia and about to attempt this build from the same plans. I was wondering if you would be willing to answer a couple of small questions I may have? The way you have built it is exactly what I had in mind but am unsure on a couple of small details regarding the plans.

    Chris - QLD Australia.

    ReplyDelete