Monday, September 17, 2018

Sail On...

After ten months in a comma I awakened just in time to prepare for the 2018 Wooden Boat Show in Port Townsend ,WA. The very idea of building a boat was the result of our first visit to Port Townsend way back in 2011. This is our third trip to the show and our first opportunity to bring a boat. The following images show the sail up for the first time. The sail is not yet adjusted properly, but it fits well and the excellent workmanship of the sail maker is evident.


Stuart, of Dabbler Sails, really knows his stuff and was a pleasure to deal with.

 
The halyards are secured with old style belay pins.


Oars are easily accessible and secured with quick release bungee straps.


 Oarlocks are stowed in leather pouches underneath the deck.
 

Time to prepare her for the 1400 mile trip to Port Townsend.


Having a good time at the 42ad wooden boat festival in Port Townsend, WA.

4 comments:

  1. Looks great! I have started my own boat and I have a few questions for you: how did you find out the shape of the bottom and did you use chines?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nienke,

    I'm assuming you are working from the Barto plans. Once you have the strongback and patterns in place, including the stem and transom, the width of the bottom can be measured at each station. Transfer these points to the bottom material and connect the dots with a batten. If all is well the lines will be fair and the shape symmetrical.

    I'm guessing you are referring to the use of chine logs. If you are strip planking the hull, with fiberglass cloth in and out, chine logs are not necessary.

    It's always good to hear that a new melonseed build is underway!

    Best Regards,

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tim it was good to see pictures of your beautiful boat in the water. I imagine the boat show attendees were impressed with your work. Sorry you were in a comma!

    I am slowly building mine as well and planking should be finally in place before I head to Colorado for the winter.

    I used a slightly different method of joining planking with the bottom but can't see how to share pictures with you in this comment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your blog! I finished my Melonseed (the rowing part) see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCmpPpfpjBc&feature=youtu.be

    ReplyDelete